Monday, August 8, 2011

Doing Things I Hate

I did 3 things today that I hate.
  1. Ran
  2. Went to work
  3. Scooped litter boxes
I'm going to talk about the first one.

I tried running before. I think I even gave it a fair shot (read: a week). And I hate running. No, I hate running. Absolutely nothing appeals to me about waking up 20 minutes earlier than I have to, sweating til my clothes are soaked, and gasping for air when everything in me screams "SIT DOWN AND EAT COOKIES!"

But this morning, I tried once again to like it. I blame this latest attempt on a member of our Life Group who roped a few other girls into training for the Race for the Cure via the NHS Couch to 5K podcast. I could have been the lame-o and told her "Nope. I hate running." And left it at that. But I was slightly motivated by the prospect of connecting with these ladies in a new way, running (or ralking) a 5K together, and possibly getting cookies afterward (some of these girls love to bake). Plus there are free t-shirts. Quadruple win!

So today, I set my alarm 20 minutes early. I put on the podcast, and did a total of about 20 laps around my townhome complex. (I have GOT to find a more interesting place to do this.) I ran for a total of 8 minutes. And I thought to myself, "I can do this!"

Rather than making  a rash commitment I regret in a week, I decided to finish this week of training and then re-evaluate whether to register for this Race for the Cure. So this is me, publicly committing to make a commitment (one way or the other) in a week.

List of pros:
  • my running shoes are rockstar cool
  • I can buy cute running clothes
  • exercise is good for you, I guess
  • cool people are doing it with me
  • the podcast lady has a cute British accent
  • COOKIES

No comments:

Post a Comment